Nurture the Mind, Body, and Soul at the Mindful Museum
All Home Care Matters was honored to welcome Lucy Stewart, Associate Curator of Education, Carnegie Museum of Art to share an exciting new program at the museum called “Mindful Museum”.
The new “Mindful Museum” program is designed for visitors over 55 years old. The “Mindful Museum,” is a suite of accessible programs and activities that expand Carnegie Museum of Art as a destination that nurtures the mind, body, and soul for visitors over 55. Mindful Museum will begin in May 2022 and run through December 2022.
The following are the programs that are being offered through the “Mindful Museum”:
Art Paths | Wednesdays, all day, May 4 – December 28, 2022; on-site only:
• Want to get your morning exercise in an art museum? Our galleries are the place to be! Art paths with step counts, distance markers, and art stops have been designed for optimum movement and thinking. Listen to meditation prompts on your phone or chat with a docent about works of art on view. No need to count the steps or the distance because we have done that for you! No matter how you get there, enjoy the galleries at your leisure. And if you tire on your journey, all-important rest areas are available.
Drop-In Drawing | 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of the month, 9:30 – 11 a.m.; on-site only:
• Learn to draw or sharpen your techniques in this newly offered drawing class. Utilizing different works of art and gallery spaces, each session serves as inspiration for your creativity. Explore a range of drawing styles, techniques, and terms including gesture drawing, contour, shading, perspective, chiaroscuro, and more. Materials are included and personal sketchbooks are welcome, but pencils only when in the galleries.
Chair and Wheelchair Yoga | 2nd and 4th Wednesdays of the month, 9:30 – 10:10 a.m.; on-site as well as access to online recordings:
• This popular online class has moved on-site! Surround yourself with art as you stretch your body and mind in this gentle yoga class. Begin each session by delving into a work of art from the collection. Then, follow your instructor through movement inspired by the work of art. Learn seated gentle exercises, standing poses that use the chair for balance and support, and breathing and relaxation techniques. This class is accessible to participants of all levels and abilities, and various modifications will be offered. One day a week not enough? Mindful Museum includes unlimited access to past and future recordings of Chair Yoga and Wheelchair Yoga sessions online.
Crash Course Art History Classes | Dates vary by month, 11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.; on- site as well as access to online recordings:
• Carnegie Museum of Art’s wide-ranging collection serves as the cornerstone for topics that cross time periods, art movements, artists, cultures, styles, materials, and meaning. Look back at some of the most thought-changing art moments and discover the art of today as it leads us to the future. Explore avant-garde Impressionism, artful photographs, Japanese prints, and the art and artists of today in the upcoming 58th Carnegie International, opening on September 24, 2022! Special Mindful Museum tours are included. Your package also includes unlimited access to past and future recordings of Crash Course.
The Bank: Access to online recordings | Available any time:
• Your package includes unlimited access to the repository of past and future recordings of Crash Course, Meditation Classes, Chair Yoga Classes, and other special programs.
The Mindful Museum one-time registration fee is as follows:
• $50 for members of Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh
• $80 for non-members: learn more about membership at Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh at: Membership – Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh
• Scholarships are available